Smell of Success

Monday evening my mom mentioned possibly making some more pear preserves to try and use the pears off of the tree in the back yard.  

"I'll just wait and let Daddy pick them tomorrow," she said.

Instead of waiting, I got up a little while later and went outside and picked pears.  I came in with a 5 gallon bucket. 

"It takes two buckets."

So I went outside and picked another 5 gallon bucket of pears.  I was picking the pears from up in the tree with a garden hoe.  It was interesting because I couldn't always see if there were bees and june bugs on the pears.  When I pulled a few I had june bugs and bees flying around me.  Luckily I didn't get stung though.

We went walking Monday night after I picked pears and then we came home and peaked and cut them up.  Mama prepared them for last night's cooking.  She had a meeting to go to so she left me to the cooking.  They took about 3 1/2 hours.  It was ok though.  Derek and I cooked supper.  Chicken, mashed potatoes and broccoli with cheese.  OOOoo... and some homemade Red Lobster biscuits. Yummy! I actually made them by the recipe this time and they were spot on!  I should have taken a picture. They were awesome.

I stayed in the kitchen most of the time to keep the pears stirred.  Mama got home about 9:00.  We started jaring them up around 9:30.  She started and I finished them while she went and took a shower.  I ran out of jars and still had some pears left so I had to go on a hunt for jars.  We had been making pint size jars but I found some half pints. 

In all we have made 25 pint jar, 1 quart jar and 3 1/2 half pint jars.  The last half pint last night wasn't full so we put that in the refrigerator and I enjoyed it on a piece of toast with my grits this morning.  It was scrumptious.

No comments: