When in need, substitute!

Yesterday was my man's birthday. I wanted to do something special for him that I thought no one else had ever done for him. So, yesterday morning I put some cake that my mom had made on a plastic plate. Then I began my search for candles.

I looked in the canisters where I just knew there had to be some. There were. They weren't the ones I wanted though. There were some number candles; more specifically, two 1's, a 7 and a 2. There were also some scented candles that I didn't think would go over to well. Chocolate cake with a hint of flowers... not my idea of yummy.
To my disappointment, I could find any small stick candles. I took out the number candles. I look at them. IDEA! Instead of just one piece of the cake on the plate, I put 4. I put all the number candles on the plate, grabbed my bag and headed to Derek's house. I was giddy with excitement. All the while feeling like a math geek, using those number candles was my only option for candles. I got to his house, grabbed the plate and went inside. I found a lighter that he had used to light the heater last week. I carefully placed the candles on the cake and lit them. Derek was still in the bed so I opened his bedroom door singing happy birthday and carrying the cake with the candles.
He looked at me and smiled. As I got closer though, he got a puzzled look on his face.
Derek: "What's with the number candles?"
Me: " 1 plus 1 is 2. 7 minus 2 is 5. 2. 5. 25. You're 25. I had to do what I had to do!"
He just looked at me and smiled. And to make it better, no one had ever brought him cake with candles like that on the morning of his birthday. So that made it all worth the mathematics.
Oh... and I did one better for you! I took a picture!

No comments: